Monday, October 09, 2006

The Pony

“Grandma, tell me about the good ole days,” the little girl said. She shifted around on her Grandmother’s couch in a yellow dress with a red ribbon in her hair. “You know when you were my age and you got that pony for your birthday.”

“Jacqueline Louise Wright how many times have I told you that story?” her Grandmother asked as she adjusted herself in a big easy chair so that she faced Jacqueline.

“I don’t know, Grandma maybe a million times, but it’s my birthday today.”

The old lady put down her knitting needles. “First, Jacquie you have to answer a few questions for Grandma.”

Jacqueline’s eyebrows rose. “Are they hard questions, Grandma?”

“No child. They’re easy ones.”

“Jacqueline nodded and smiled. “Okay, Grandma.”

The old lady sat and thought for a moment, twisting her mouth from side to side. “Okay, first question. How old are you?”

“I turned six today, Grandma. Don’t you know that I am six years old?”

“Yes, child I know that you are six today. Okay, here is a hard question. Are you ready?”

Jacqueline nodded eagerly.

“When were you born?”

Jacqueline rolled her eyes. “March twenty fifth nineteen sixty-two. Six years ago Grandma, don’t you know how to subtract?”

The old lady smiled. “Okay, smarty pants. What is your Mothers and Fathers name?”

“Edward and Jean, I think, but I call them Mom and Dad.”

“How many brothers and sisters do you have?”

Jacqueline counted her tiny fingers. She looked up sharply with a smile. “I have five.”

“Do you know their names?”

Jacqueline shook her head. “Of course I do, Grandma. Jean, Mae, Edward, Loren, and my baby brother Will.”

“That’s right child, and where are your Mother, Father, brothers and sisters?”

“They’re at home. It is my special day, so I got to come here to visit you, Grandma.”

“Do you like coming to visit Grandpa and me, child?”

“Yes, Grandma. I love your stories,” Jacqueline’s eyes widened. “Now, will you tell me, Grandma? Will you tell me the story of the pony?”

The old lady let out a deep sigh. “It was a long, long time ago when I was your age. My Father, you never met my father, went to heaven before you were born. He was a strong and handsome man.”

“More handsome than Daddy, Grandma?”

The old lady grinned. “Oh, I guess about the same. Anyway on my sixth birthday my Father bought me a pony. We lived out in the country where ponies were permitted, ponies are not permitted here in the city.”

“I sure wish I could have a pony. I live out in the country. Well sort of. I live close to a park. Is that good enough, Grandma?”

“No child you have to live in the country. A pony needs a place where he can run free.”

Jacqueline shifted around on the couch. “Tell me more, Grandma.”

The old ladies eyes lit up. “Oh child, this was such a beautiful pony, and he could do all kinds of tricks.”

“What kind of tricks, Grandma?”

“Well for one. He would stick his nose right down into my coat pocket and pull out the apple I had hidden in there. ”

“Gee, Grandma that was a pretty smart pony.”

“Oh that pony was smart all right. His hair felt like silk, and his eyes were bright. Did you know he could carry three children at once on his back?

“He must have been a real strong pony, Grandma.”

“I guess as far as ponies go. He was really strong.”

“Tell me his name, Grandma.”

“You know his name child.”

Jacqueline’s face lit up like a Christmas tree. “It was Magic, right Grandma? Because he could do all kinds of tricks.”

“That is right, Jacquie”

Jacqueline lowered her head. “I wish I could have a pony like Magic to ride,” she whispered.
“Jacquie, come here and sit on my lap, child.”

Jacqueline got up from the couch and moved over to the chair where her Grandmother sat, and climbed onto her lap.

“Jacquie, when Grandpa gets home. I am going to have him take you to a place where they have ponies. And you know what, child?”

“What, Grandma?”

“You are going to get to ride one of those ponies for your birthday.”

Jacqueline threw her arms around her Grandmother’s neck, and kissed her on the cheek. “Grandma, do you know something?”

“What child?”

“I love you.”

(Written by Robert Rohloff)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this story- well written and heart rendering. Good Job.