Tuesday, September 26, 2006

High Tea at 6

Sunday June 27th, 1968

Oh fun, fun day! This morning I called to invite my little Anna for tea and she said asked if it would be okay if she brought her girlfriend. Of course I said YES!

I spend all morning, worked like a dog, in that dining room until it just gleamed. I dressed the table with Mummie’s hand embroidered linen cloth. She’d be so proud to see that room sparkling with her good china on that beautiful cloth. The peonies are gorgeous this year and I arranged a bouquet in the cut glass vase.

I was bathed and in my good navy silk when promptly at three the doorbell rang. Henry and I invited them in. He wore his purple feather boa - kids get such a kick out of that silly old dog - and of course he danced and sprang and leaped. I swear sparks flew from his feet.

Anna must have told her friend that high tea is a dress up affair as their mothers had them polished and garnished in party dresses, their stick legs circled in lace, patent shoes glossy as tar. Jacquie, this is the friend, holds out her hand just like a duchess and get this, this kid is only six years old, says “my name is Jacquie” spelled the French way. She is missing her two front teeth and has a delightful lisp. Her long hair simply speaks of gardens. She observed the room and said, “you have a gorgeous home.” This kid is six!

My guests were careful not to clink or drip while sipping honeyed tea, and crunching chocolate chip cookies. Jacquie especially loved the ones with the tiny pieces of orange peel. Puccini - not intrusive - played in the background. Henry, that silly old dog, threw his head back and wailed a soprano accompaniment with Joan Sutherland. Jacquie raised one eyebrow of disapproval. Apparently she has good taste in music. We sipped and crunched around talk of puppies and kittens, (they both would like a pet).

Tea finished I invited them into my closet:
Anna must have told about this little ritual as decorum vanished as they raced for the prize: my red high heels! I thought we might have a little bit of a to-do as Anna pounced on them first. I gave her that look only an old maid school teacher has (good grief is this me!) and she handed them over to our special guest then chose the silver sling backs and even though I whispered to her that they were much more expensive than the red ones a tiny tear trembled on her lashes. Oh well, that little disappointment might make some of the bigger ones along the way easier to bear. “It will be your turn, next time,” I said. “Now come on it’s makeup time!”

I think perhaps Jacquie’s mother might not approve as the child looked a bit shocked as I painted blushed and mascara'd Anna’s face. But not for long, she raised her little face and I soon had her matching her friend. I was the one with tears on my lashes then they looked so darling.

“Now, get the loot,” I said. Anna teetered off into the closet and dragged out that pillowslip filled with the treasure. Good Grief all that costume jewellery that Mummie brought home from all those auctions she went to over the years. I keep saying I’m going to have a yard sale and get rid of all that junk but I don’t know if I could bear it.

They each took a corner and dumped! The bed sparkled with rubies and diamonds and gold. Jacquie got the tiara, to go with the red shoes. Anna, the long ‘sapphire’ earrings.

Last week I was busy altering some of those fancy old nighties for dress up. If I do say so myself they are quite fancy with the fronts cut short - I thought I might go blind hemming! - and the backs trailing. Our old lace curtains from the house on Elm St. were veils. So cute! When they were all gussied up we had a fashion show with lemonade on the patio. I took their picture posing beside the peonies with Henry. I hope it turns out.

Now they are gone, those darling, darling children; it seems they’ve taken the light with them. Oh well, I guess Henry will have to do. He’s sitting there waiting patiently with his leash.

Goodnight Diary.

(Written by Anna Hood)

3 comments:

Izzybella said...

Oh, awesome! I really liked this. I have yet to meet a little girl who didn't like playing dress-up in some measure. In your hands, Jacquie is absolutely charming, but I also liked the wistfulness at the end when the writer is left only with Henry.

Beautifully done!

anna said...

Thanks Izzy for taking the time.
Yes poor old lady alone with Henry
although Henry ain't to be sniffed at (g)

Anonymous said...

Loved the tea party and dressing up. I can remember doing that so many times as a little girl.