Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Letter From Benny & Aesop

Hey Jackie you remember me don't you?

If I remember correctly it was sometime in the fall of 1972. I had called on your dad while you had that farm out there in the middle of nowhere. For one coming from New York it was dusty and too backward. You had disappeared with your book and you came home by noon to see the stranger in fancy suit as you said looking at me with some curiosity and disapproval. Only after your dad explained at length you showed some interest to join in the conversation.

Remember the parlor with the octagonal table which served as the center piece. I noticed how you dipped into the book that you had in your hand as if we were a distraction to you. Only after I asked of what you were reading you took me seriously. Aesop fables with some woodcuts. It was dog-eared and I could from one glance know it was in the family for some generations. I asked you which story you liked best and your reply," the next story!" had us all in stitches. Your mom, I could see, while collecting the coffee cups smile with some satisfaction. Of course you tossed your ponytails as though you knew you were being cute. Then you asked 'what do you think shall fall first on our porch? The red and gold leaf of the maple or the Christmas catalog? You didn't like it one bit when your dad said, "enough!"

Of course I remember my friendship with your father especially and the chance visit to give a surprise to my old 'comrade'. Time was when we thought we would set the world on fire and it so happened he became a dirt farmer and I one in grey flannel suit and a ten percenter out in the city.

As if I would expiate for the direction missed I have been lately thinking more on the stories I had written and stashed away for later use. In token of your interest in anything of Aesop here is one you might enjoy.

1. AESOP IN THRACE

Aesop the famous story-teller, in his early years, worked as a common slave to a Thracian by name Domus. He was a man of short temper.
One evening the master lost heavily at the gaming table and came home in a wild temper.
Seeing Wolfie his dog coming to greet him, wagging its tail, he exploded. "Stand back, you cur!”
This was followed with a mighty kick. The dog merely moved aside, still wagging its tail.
"Why didn't you sink your teeth into his calf?" asked Catharsis the mouser, whose blood was up at the injustice done to its companion.
"When fools lose temper the wise do not lose theirs". Hardly had it declared these words, a cry went up from the master. For he had stubbed his toe against a loose tile on the walk-way.
"Only a clay headed fool would think of revenge", added the house-dog philosophically.
Benny


(Written by Benny Thomas)

1 comment:

anna said...

ohh laughing at the aesop tale!
original and very charming
loved it.