Thursday, September 28, 2006

Meeting Cobweb

They’ve agreed! They’ve said yes! Mom and Dad have said I can take horse-riding lessons! Whooopeeee! I’m so pleased. Jill and Erin have been going riding since last term. Even Joanie’s folks agreed to let her go to riding. I’d have been the odd one out if my folks had said no. And that would have been so uncool. You know what it’s like if all your friends get to do something and you don’t. You end up getting left out of other stuff too.

I can’t wait. Mom’s taking me to buy a riding hat tomorrow; the riding school said that was a non-negotiable. Mom says if I really get into it – I can tell she’s thinking it’s a fad and won’t last – then she’ll buy me boots and maybe even a crop. How cool would that be? Erin’s already got all that stuff so she’s been wandering around like a queen bee for the last little while, thinking she’s some kind of Princess Anne – you know, the British royal who’s so big into horses.

Friday’s going to be my first lesson and I can’t wait. At least I think I can’t.

************************

Wow! What a day. My first riding lesson! And I’m in love! Really!

Erin’s mom picked us all up in her station wagon right after school. We all piled in the back and Jill and Erin chattered on about which horse they wanted to ride. Joanie just sat there giggling and I listened. You know, as much as I wanted to do this, I also felt a bit afraid. A horse is a pretty big animal. What if I got kicked or bitten. What if I fell off and made a total idiot of myself. Of course, I couldn’t let the others see I was nervous; they’d have laughed at me.
By the time we got to the stables my hands were totally clammy and my insides felt like jelly. Erin and Jill rushed straight over to the stables and started stroking the noses of two big brown horses. Joanie and I kind of stood to the side and watched, until this skinny girl in a raggedy sweater and dirty jeans came over and introduced herself.

“Hi,” she said, “I’m Louise, I’m going to be your teacher.”

Joanie and I glanced at each other. Louise didn’t look old enough to teach anyone anything.

“Let’s just get one thing straight up front,” said Louise, “No fooling around. Understand.” She gave us a long, narrow-eyed look and Joanie and I understood.

Louise might be young, probably only about nineteen, but we could see she was one tough cookie.

“Sure, we understand,” we chorused. And I felt even more nervous.

“You, what’s your name?” asked Louise.

“I’m Jacquie,” I said, biting my lip, wondering what she was going to ask me to do.

“Okay, Jacquie, you can ride Cobweb. He’s over there – see, the grey with his head sticking over the stable door. He’s saddled up already, go get him and lead him out here.”

My heart kinda sunk into my shoes. Cobweb was tall. And I’d never been close to a horse before.

“Well go on then, what are you waiting for?” snapped Louise.

I scuttled off.

Cobweb raised his head and whinnied as I got close.

I stopped a couple of feet from the door to the stable and stared at him. He stared back at me. He nodded his head at me, as though he was saying hello.
I took a step closer.

He was beautiful, a sort of mottled grey with a long, intelligent face and dark brown eyes that seemed to look right into me. And he was big. Very big.

“Oh come on, Jacquie,” yelled Erin, “you’re not scared are you?”

Jill laughed out loud.

“Of course not,” I said, but I could feel the tips of my ears burn red.

I took another step towards Cobweb and put out my hand.

He blew a hot horsey breath onto it and sniffed at it, making soft snuffling sounds. I stepped closer and as I did, Cobweb lifted his big head and rested it on my shoulder.

“Well, well,” I heard Louise’s voice behind me, she was speaking softly and sounded surprised. “I haven’t seen him do that very often. I think, young lady, you’ve made an invaluable new friend.”

I reached up and stroked Cobweb’s cheek. He lifted his head and put his face against mine. I touched his muzzle. It felt like silk, like baby mice, so soft. He breathed in my ear and I knew Louise was right. I had made a really special new friend. Cobweb is just beautiful and I know he loves me. And I love him. Do you know, he’s an ex race horse.

I can’t wait to get back to the stables next week.

I’m wondering if Mom and Dad might even be willing to buy Cobweb for me. How cool would that be?!

(Written by Nicky Schmidt)

2 comments:

anna said...

Nicky you have brought this little Jacquie girl to life. she walks the walk and talks the talk.
and Cobweb! I would fall in love with him too.
Down the road from me live two golden horses. I always take them a couple of oreo cookies when i walk with the dogs. and yes their muzzles do feel like baby mice.
GOOD STUFF! I enjoyed it tremendously

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

A buoyant and happy piece of what was or could have been...
Superb bit of writing!